Featured Artist: Sonya Kanelstrand



Tiny Planet.

Exploring the association of textile art with altered states of consciousness and shamanism has started me thinking about the pivotal role of art in human culture and our survival as a species. 


The capacity of humans to experience ASC in itself, I think, is a characteristic that has been selected for in our evolution because it facilitates social cohesion (see my post on the subject here). I am therefore drawn toward any artistic medium that reflects ASC. In this quest, I have become aware of the art of Sonya Kanelstrand.I was immediately drawn to the reflections of a multi-tiered cosmos in her work. She depicts earth, heaven, and the passages or transitional spaces between them. She appears to live in these transitional spaces, gently guiding the viewer here and there and showing possibilities of living in these spaces ourselves. Her dreamy images conjure theta states, the in-between place between wakefulness and sleep. Theta states are directly related to shamanic trance and ASC.

Now I'm sitting here trying to think of ways to communicate Sonya Kanelstrand to you. Wracking my brain. As I learn more about her, I become more and more amazed by her. I'm also thinking about a deadline and wondering, "How can I write about this person and get this post up today? It's impossible!" And then I noticed a quotation on Sonya's blog:  


And don't hurry, "everything that sets you back in the slow circles of nature is a help."



Ah yes. Deep breath. Why should I hurry? The more time I spend with this lady, the better. Because here's the thing:

Sonya Kanelstrand is a renaissance woman. 

She lives in Norway, and is a photographer, writer, book reviewer, blogger, traveler, and entrepreneur. She has a stunning Etsy shop where she sells her beautiful photographic artworks. 

Kanelstrand = Cinnamon Beach

Here is how she portrays herself. I wonder if this is "in order."
  • A proponent of simple living
  • A holder of two MA Degrees - in Philology and in Pedagogy
  • A writer
  • A photographer
  • A minimalist   
  • A proud member of team Eco Etsy
  • Located in Norway

Can I add "teacher" and "guide" to that list?

Sonya lives with her family in a pine forest by the sea.


That is where my inspiration comes from. I like the close touch of nature, the colors of autumn and the smell of the sea.

She dedicates herself to living with mindfulness, hoping that others will join her. 
I strive to live sustainably and to impact the environment minimally by using local, non-toxic or recycled materials. In my everyday life I reuse, recycle and upcycle effortlessly out of common sense and because I was brought up this way in the first place.
Metaphorically put, I am walking the green path and would love to have you as my companions. I just so believe that mutual encouragement and friendship make for a memorable journey.


My Shell is Half Full.

Sonya shares her worldview on her blog, Kanelstrand: Simple Living for Human Beings.  Sonya and guest contributors post practical advice on how to live according to your artistic and ecological ideals. This clean, respectful blog has me thinking that it IS possible to live with integrity. In fact, she makes it seem easy. In her words: If you stick to the principles of simple living you wouldn't have a hard time defining your values regardless of temptations. She describes her feelings when she finally decided to stop multitasking and pare down her own life:


I felt I came back to an old self I had forgotten, leading a slow life of delight and appreciation of the present. Now, when you come to think of it, there is hardly a better way to enjoy the moment than to fully dip yourself into its waters - to only read when you read and to only eat when you eat; to sit quietly under a starry sky, without the glow of a display and without any interruption that you yourself have been welcoming so far. And you know what, I am planning to keep it simple, stress-free and old-fashioned. I realized my brain is not yet a computer (and thank God for that!) and there is no need to treat it like one.

Sonya's artistry has an immediate impact, making me begin to envision a life like that for myself. Making me realize that I can live more mindfully. Making me see how I have been asking for and guiding myself toward that life already and didn't really know it. I feel like I'm expanding!



Catch the Moon.


Sonya, how would you describe your artworks?

SK: My artworks are like complex mirrors pointing inwards and outwards and showing what goes on in my soul and how it affects the world around me. As every artist, I feel very closely connected to what I do and labeling is a bit hard. I see them as a creativity challenge to the viewers and gymnastics for their minds. Seeing something which looks impossible at first glance and yet beautiful surely cannot go unremembered. 

While My Guitar Gently Weeps.


Would you say there is a psychedelic aspect to these images?

SK: The word "psychedelic" has a "hippie" connotation, stemming from the 60s but if we devoid it from its popular culture aspect, it is left with its true meaning coming from Ancient Greek, which is "soul-manifesting". In that line of thoughts, a psychedelic experience is characterized by the striking changes of perception, or by the creative exuberance of the mind liberated from its ostensibly ordinary fetters.

In other words, yes, there is a psychedelic aspect to my artworks which is intended to shift the viewer's attention and help the soul and mind find their way to what truly matters.
Island in the Stream.

Can you describe the process of creating these works?

SK: I never go out without a camera which gives me the chance to capture almost anything that attracts my attention. This is the fast and easy part. Then I sit in front of my computer and while browsing through the photos I get ideas about how I can mix and transform them. This is the moment when inspiration strikes and I start to get impatient to see my ideas forming.

After hours and sometimes days spent in cutting, pasting, adding layers and textures a new artwork is born. I have adapted an approach I've learned through my translating experience - when I consider my project finished I let it sit and look at it after a day. This helps me distance myself and see it with new eyes, which translates in really well thought-out artworks.

The Little Prince's Deer.

How did your process evolve?

SK: I remember when I first saw digitally manipulated photos on Flickr. At the time I had no idea how to achieve something like that but thanks to the sharing community of photographers I learned a lot about graphic retouching and editing.

Middle Earth Man (below) is my first surreal photo,
which I already don't remember why came up to life but it was a pure coincidence. Almost two years later I don't let the chance decide for myself. When I am out taking photos I know at least roughly how I will be transforming them. 

I follow a strict plan every time I start creating to make sure I can repeat the same steps and effects in any photo. I now use between 3 and 6 starting images and unlike in the beginning I can now go back in the process however many steps I wish, which gives me great flexibility and room to let my imagination run wild.
 

Middle Earth Man.


Is there any part of the process that appeals to you the most?

SK: Yes, it is the process of transforming one photo into a completely different one, as well as surprising myself with variants I didn't see beforehand in my mind. Creating is so exciting for me that I often cannot get sleep until I have finished...

Would you like to inhabit the worlds you create?

SK: In fact I think I do inhabit them. Creating a surreal artwork engages my soul quite a bit but it is not a one-way process. While I am altering a photo it is altering parts of me too and so we bond in a special and unique way.

When I was a child I remember looking at the illustrations in Pippi Longstocking wondering how my own toys had ended up on the pages of the book. You see, I used to spend so much time looking at them previously that I firmly believed they were part of my own life. It is very much the same now. I guess I just haven't grown up.


Bird on the Wire.


Sonya Shows us a Path between Earth and Heaven.


Many of Sonya's artworks reveal a connection between this world and the world of spirits and imagination. She illuminates the path. She dedicates herself to living on this path. The artist as shaman. 

Gone Fishing.

One of Sonya's felted bowls from her Furulunden Series. Spirals = entoptic passageways!


Swedish Lake on Sunset.

 

Foggy Norwegian Wood.

 

***
Visit Sonya! Keep in touch with Sonya! She's a magnificent lady! 
Google +
http://www.kanelstrand.com/


Visit Miri, too, while you're at it!



10 comments:

  1. Wow. This is just amazing. I love the quote in the beginning... along with everything about this. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess. This has been my favorite piece to work on so far. Getting to know this lady has been such a great experience. I want to live on one of the little planets!

      Delete
  2. .. she is a beautiful artist and friend ! Thanks so much for the enlighting interveiw Miri! It was like a breath of fresh air~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! The surreal photos are extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently stumbled across your blog and I LOVE it! I love the layout to the content and everything in between! Your sense of style is just impeccable and your blog is simply the epitome of perfection! I am your newest, most avid follower, I look forward to reading your future posts. I would love it if you could perhaps follow me back too? Have a lovely day!

    Love from, MISSIFFA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much love,
    Wengie
    www.wengie.com"
    "Loved the blog post <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continue the good work; keep posting more n more n more.bubblegum casting reviews

    ReplyDelete