Homemade Lipstick!


It's so easy to create your own all-natural lipstick at home! Here's how.



My attempt at lipstick/colored lip balm.

I've been wanting to do this for so long! 

Over the past few months I've been making little purchases of different minerals for makeup. There's something a little daunting about it, though. Blending the colors is fun, but kind of hard. My first attempt at foundation made me look departed, we'll just say.

So I'm tackling something easier. Theoretically.

The Recipe 

(makes 4-6 ounces of lip stuff)

  • 1/2 cup oil of your choice (I used sweet almond)
  • 1/4 cup beeswax (I used beeswax pearls)
  • 1 tablespoon coffee butter, shea butter, etc. (I used coffee butter)
    • Don't use cocoa butter, as it's astringent and feels weird on lips
    • If you don't have any butters, use an extra teaspoon or so of wax
  • About a teaspoon of blended minerals (I used iron oxide brown and two mica shades of red/pink as you can see in the picture above)
    • Make sure you purchase "lip safe" minerals!
    • According to the Soap Queen, adding zinc oxide makes for a more opaque, matte lipstick, while just the micas will create a sheer, colored lip balm

How to do it

  • Put the oil, beeswax, and coffee butter in a pyrex or other heat-safe cup or bowl
  • Place in a pan of water
  • Heat until the ingredients are melted, stirring with a chopstick every once in a while
  • Place your minerals in your final container and blend until you're happy with the color
  • Pour the oil/wax/butter mixture over the minerals
  • Stir with a chopstick until blended
  • Allow to cool/harden







  


That's it!!!

Unless there's Texture Trouble!

Depending on your ingredients and the altitude and climate of your kitchen, the texture of the finished product will vary. On my first try, the balm came out waxy and too hard, so I put everything back in the double boiler and remelted it with more oil. I then repoured the blend back into the containers and now it's all good!



MIRI

2 comments:

  1. Where did you get your mica/pigments from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexandra! I get them from www.makingcosmetics.com.

      Delete