Moth-Repelling Linen Spray

All natural, diy, non-toxic linen spray with lavender/cedarwood essential oils to repel those hungry little moths.


Make your own, following this recipe, or buy a ready-made one here.

I don't want moths! They're cute and little and fairy-ish, but they eat my fabric stash! 

I'm not sure where these guys are coming from as, apparently, they are not native to where I live. Maybe they're hitch-hiking here from India, Turkey, Uzbekistan, or somewhere else I get my fabrics from.

At any rate, I don't want to kill them, but I want them to go away. After a little research, I found that they don't like the smell of lavender or cedarwood. I decided to create a spray using these essential oils and see if that worked. And YES IT DID!!! I happily do not have to resort to drastic measures. This stuff really seems to keep the population from settling in my closet. 

Whenever I see one or two moths, I just spritz this stuff all over my clothes, shelves, curtains, hangings, bed linens, etc., and they disappear within an hour. I have to keep doing this every month or so, but it's much better than introducing weird-smelling chemicals, especially when I'm trying to sell the fabrics. No-one wants to buy a moth-ball-smelling scarf!

Here's my recipe:

4 ounces distilled water
2 tablespoons real vanilla extract (in alcohol)
40 drops lavender essential oil
30 drops cedar essential oil
5 drops tea tree oil.

Put the vanilla and essential oils in your bottle. I use an HDPE plastic bottle with a pump spray top. HDPE is a good plastic to use with essential oils, as it doesn't degrade like some plastics do.

Fill with distilled water. Shake!

Shake before each use, people.




or you could just buy this one!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent website you have so much cool information!..
    pest control san antonio
    #pestcontrolsanantonio

    ReplyDelete