fashion design: a sheer black silk 1920s style dress


latest design from miri boheme: 

an ephemeral, sheer black silk
 1920s style dress with huge sequin paisleys!


The inspiration for every single dress i make comes from the fabric. Traditional fabric is very engaging to me – something to be experienced rather than just observed or admired. I buy antique fabrics from several suppliers in different parts of the world, who buy them from village women. These fabrics are so beautiful. They are artworks, truly.
When I receive the fabric, I swish it around to get the scent (nice, like old books) and the feel of it – whether it’s heavy, light, translucent, the design, all of it. I think about the person who created the fabric, the history of that particular technique and what the designs may mean. As I’m doing this, I get ideas of what to make. It’s my favourite part of the entire process.
This dress started life as a sari - five yards of gorgeous, soft, sheer silk chiffon with a pallu covered with these amazing, huge sequin paisleys. 
As soon as I draped it onto the mannequin, i knew i had to feature those paisleys. This is the dress that emerged.




No comments:

Post a Comment