Sun damage: Licorice and Salicylic Acid Toner

Continuing with the lightening theme and the experimental theme, I'm going to add licorice extract to my already tried and proven toner formula. 

I already know my toner recipe works really well for clogged pores, so if my pores start getting clogged again, I'll know the licorice extract is the culprit. 


I'm including a link to Dabney Rose Hydrosols in this recipe. She distills her own hydrosols! I haven't tried her stuff yet, but it looks great. I love the fact that she makes everything in small batches. I want to try her Green Clay hydrosol! How do you distill green clay? I don't understand! But I like it!

Anyhow,

And here's the new recipe with the licorice extract:

To make 2 ounces (12 teaspoons) of toner with 3-5% salicylic acid and 6-7% licorice extract:

Ingredients




In a glass bowl or PET plastic bottle, mix together

 


1/2 teaspoon of salicylic acid powder

1 1/2 teaspoons of alcohol

Stir or shake until the powder dissolves. 








Add 10 teaspoons of your water. 
Add one or two drops of Triethanolamine to raise the pH. 
Add your licorice extract.
Shake it up.

Don't worry if your toner separates. You can add a few drops of alcohol, or you can just leave it. I shake it up before I use it, and the fact that it separates seems to have no impact on the way it works.


To use: Wet a cotton ball with the toner and apply to a clean, slightly damp face. You can put moisturizer on right afterwards (without necessarily waiting for it to dry). Use in the am and pm.
Right cheek, 5 pm, July 5, 2012


Left cheek, 5 pm, July 5, 2012

I started using this on July 18 in the am. It is slightly tingly as soon as I put it on, but that subsides within a few minutes. So far so good. I'm posting pictures of my skin again, so maybe we can see a difference after a few weeks!