Fix Those Extensions!


Beauties!!! My clip-in extensions look like they were scavenged from a dog-brush and scotch-taped to my head. NOT GOOD! 

They were dry, frazzled-looking, and the color was fading out. I only wear them for gigs, so they were getting swished around quite a bit from all that head-banging.

According to the box they came in, you're supposed to wash them after every couple of uses, which of course I never did. I've been using them for about 2 years now. Shameful, I know.

So I decided to treat them to some good diy care and color.










The Recipe!


First I mixed up a small batch of coloring. I used 1/2 cup of dark henna, 1 tablespoon of molasses, and about 1/2 cup of hot water.




How to do it!

Put the dry hair extensions in, clips and all, stir them gently until they are completely saturated with the henna mix, and let them sit for a couple of hours.


MMMMM! YUMMY!!!!!

Rinse them in warm water and wash them very gently. I used Chagrin Valley Soapnuts Shampoo. Put them back in the (rinsed out and cleaned) bowl and pour a teaspoon of vinegar and some warm water (maybe a cup) over them. Gently move the hair around in this vinegar solution for a minute or so and rinse the extensions under running warm water out of the tap. 

Comb and place somewhere to dry. I don't know how smart this was, but I put mine outside in the sun to dry. Actually, I hung them on the clothesline with clothespins. They were completely dry in 15 minutes.

Here is the result. The color is a bit hard to see in this light, but you can get an idea of the texture. The extensions came out smooth, shiny, and dark brown, just like I hoped!


 

 

MIRI