Banana Beauty Recipe Review: Banana Facial Scrub

In my last post I reviewed a recipe from Sonya Kanelstrand's new ebook, Banana Beauty (available for 6.95 here). The banana conditioner worked great! My hair looked amazing!

Today, I'm going to do a banana sugar scrub. It's a very simple recipe made with ingredients from your own kitchen. I shared the conditioner recipe last time, so I'm going to keep this one a secret out of respect for Sonya. It wouldn't be very nice of me to give out her recipes for free, would it?


I'm hesitant to try anything on my face these days because I finally managed to clear my clogged pores after 27 years. I'm hoping that this will not have any negative effect.

I know the banana has fructose, sucrose, and glucose. It has vitamin A, which, in its processed form, is comedogenic. I don't know about its banana form. I've googled ad infinitum but can't find any studies on topical application of banana mush. I know sugar's good; it's basically a glycolic acid peel.

Anyhoo, it took me 2 minutes to put it all together. Here's the finished product:




This tablecloth rules, doesn't it?

Massage it onto your face for 2 to 3 minutes and let it sit for 15 minutes. I used only about 1/4 of the mask, and I liked the way it felt so much as I was putting it on that I decided to freeze the rest. I also considered putting it on my son's pancakes... either way...

Look how well my little herbs are doing!
It feels surprisingly good! I had the banana in the fridge, and the mask is nice and cool on my face. It's thinner than I thought it would be, too, which is nice. 

The recipe calls for sugar. I used brown rather than white. Brown tends to melt more into the formula, while white stays grainy and acts as a mechanical (or physical) exfoliant. The brown is much more subtle...no grains... but still acts as a chemical exfoliant. So this is really more like a mask. Next time I think I'll use white sugar and see how that feels.

As it dried I felt it tightening a bit, but nothing too dramatic. It feels really good, actually.

Okay! 

The stuff rinsed right off just by splashing warm water on my face 7 to 10 times. I finished with a couple splashes of cool water and voila!


 












My face feels very clean, smooth, and moisturized. 






I LOVE IT.


  


Sonya Kanelstrand strikes again!




p.s. Take a look at a feature I did in my other blog on Sonya Kanelstrand's artwork.