Hair Regrowth Journey: My Solution (Minoxidil 5%), Part II

How minoxidil gave me my hair back!!!

Okay, so in my last post I talked about biting the bullet and going for the Minoxidil 5% to try to grow my hair back. It worked. Here's what happened:

First, BE WARNED!
For the first 6 weeks or so, I shed TONS of hair. They say this is normal and even that it's a good sign, because it means that the stuff is having some kind of effect. If you don't lose any hair, it's a sign that the product is not working. So I expected/hoped for this, but o my god, it was very disturbing! I lost clumps of hair daily. I probably lost close to a third of my hair during this period. And I had no hair to start off with! Awful disheartening blah.


But then the hair fall became less and less dramatic and I noticed some definite growth around my temples.

Diagnosing your hair problem
After many many attempts to "cure" my problem, I finally was able to figure out what was going on with my hair. At first I thought it was that my scalp was clogged with sebum (I have closed comedone acne and it made sense that this also would be affecting my scalp). But it turned out that wasn't the problem. At my age, and after having a baby, the real problem was DHT (dihydrotestosterone) buildup in my follicles, causing androgenic alopecia. Wikipedia has a great description of the mechanism. 

In very very basic terms, DHT is a hormone synthesized from testosterone by the enzyme 5-alpha reductase. It builds up in the adrenal glands, hair follicles, testes and prostate. Too much of it can cut off the blood supply to the follicle, causing an inhibition in hair growth in that follicle. The hair becomes increasingly miniaturized until it disappears altogether. This results in a shortening of the anogen phase (the growth phase) of the hair life cycle.

DHT is a natural hormone produced by the body. Minoxidil counteracts the affect on the follicle, but does not block DHT production in your body. You must keep using it for the rest of your life. If you stop, the natural and continuing DHT production will continue to do its work on your hair.

Blocking DHT production is something else that I will get into in another post.

Check out Carolyn Evans' awesome video on this subject. Be aware that she's not a huge fan of Minoxidil, but she is very knowledgeable about it and other aspects of hair loss. She's amazing.

Scientists are still not sure exactly HOW minoxidil works, though there are many theories. Since minoxidil is a vasodilator (it opens up the blood vessels), most scholars think the mechanism has something to do with increased blood flow to the follicle (although other vasodilators do not have the same effect - this may just be one element of the mechanism). This underlines the importance of increasing blood flow to the scalp, which can be accomplished/enhanced by other methods, including scalp massage/brushing.


My Routine

Brushing: I start off one or both of my daily applications (once in the AM, once in the PM) with a short brushing session. I use a flat brush with a cushiony base and rubber-tipped bristles and brush gently but fairly firmly for a couple of minutes or until my scalp feels tingly warm. It's nice! I have to be very careful not to break too many hairs off in this process. This increases blood flow to the scalp, opens the follicles, and prepares the scalp to receive the minoxidil. 


Minoxidil Application: I use Minoxidil 5% solution (the extra strength kind), which has not been approved for female thinning by the FDA. However, it is widely used and has been found to be very effective for the women-folk, so there you go.

Visit my first post about this subject for instructions on applying the minoxidil.

Shampooing: I use an organic hemp shampoo with a vinegar rinse once or twice a week. The brushing keeps my hair clean and nice for the rest of the week, and the minoxidil gives it volume, believe it or not! Make sure you do not apply the minoxidil to wet hair. It will not work.


Lavender Patchouli Hemp Shampoo Bar from Aquarian Bath on Etsy! How Hippie-ish can you get???

Supplement: I take Phytoworx supplement for hair growth. This supplement is designed to block DHT. It contains Vitamin A 500 IU, vitamin C 30 MG, vitamin D 120 IU, vitamin E 15 IU, Thiamin 0.6 MG, Niacin 15mg. Vitamin B6 0.8 MG, folate 120 MCG, Vitamin B12 2.7mcg,Biotin 3000mcg, pantothenic acid 10mg, iodine 22.5mcg, magnesium 5mg, zinc 3mg. MSM, grape seed extract, saw palmetto (berry) extract, pumpkin seed powder, gotu kola powder, ginkgo biloba powder, L-Lysine hydrochloride, L-proline, kelp, bioflavonoids, nettle leaf powder. Other ingredient: gelatin, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide.

I can't find a website for them, so I've been gleaning as much info as I can from their Amazon listings. People seem to really love their products (they do a shampoo, too, with plant stem cells that's been getting a lot of attention). I'll be able to discuss the ingredients in the supplement at greater length in another post after I've researched natural DHT blockers. I understand Saw Palmetto is one of the active ingredients...

Saw Palmetto is a popular hair loss remedy. More about this plant in another post!

Anywho, that's it! That's what I do, and it's FINALLY WORKING! 

Please ask questions! I'm more than happy to share my experience with you. It's been a long and disheartening journey at times, and I'm SO RELIEVED to have found a solution, at least for the time being.

 

MIRI

5 comments:

  1. Wow your hair looks great. I like you have tried everything else and have been contemplating minoxodil but it seems so scary. Did you get any side effects - I have read it can make your head really itchy. Also will you need to keep using it 2x a day forever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Az!!! Thanks so much for visiting. I understand about minoxidil seeming scary, totally. The only side effect I got was the hair shedding in the first few weeks. I didn't experience any itching. I DID experience some drowsiness, but I'm a single mom with two jobs, so it may just have been extreme exhaustion...

      Yes, you do have to use it twice a day for the rest of your life. Unless they come up with a DHT Blocker that is effective, you will have to combat the effects of DHT. Sorry to say... :(

      BUT the minoxidil is working for me and I'm happy about it. I hope it works for you. Please keep us posted!

      Delete
  2. One of my friend used Minodixil. Though at initial stages she had very encouraging results but after couple of months she got dejected and started using revivogen hair. Though she is happy with the results but not sure there are any side effects or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. male pattern baldness

    ReplyDelete
  4. Minoxidil is a world-famous medication that tries to trigger hair growth in some areas has stopped. Most people with hair thinning can benefit from it. Does minoxidil make hair thicker?

    ReplyDelete